Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Monica's Story



Hi Lindsey,

It's past the 29th, so perhaps you've already made the first trade. But if not, I'd like to offer a trade for the red bracelet...

During my travels this summer, I found myself in Edinburgh, Scotland. I like to purchase either a piece of jewelry or a piece of art whenever possible when traveling to a new place. In Edinburgh I happened upon a store with a glass case full of Quaiches, and I purchased one as my piece of art to take back to the States. Quaiches are the Scottish friendship cup. The one I have is made of pewter, and I'd like to offer it as a trade.

The tradition of the Quaich began in the days when people didn't trust one another, and everyone carried around his or her own drinking cup. The traditional two handles on opposite sides of the cup were put there so the cup could easily hang from a belt or a saddle.

The Quaich then began to be used ceremoniously at events such as weddings and baptisms. Everyone in the room would drink from the same Quaich as a sign of trust in the gathered community.

What you all have started with "One Red Bracelet" demonstrates an extraordinary amount of trust...trust that the world will awaken to the fact that we do indeed all drink from the same cup...trust that the thirst for justice and peace can be satisfied.

Peace and light,
Monica

No comments: